Sunday 25 March 2007

Getting Away With It (All Messed Up)

For the first time last night I experienced being sober in a nightclub and I must admit it was a spectacular experience. I was also quite hyper so I wasn't exactly sombre. The first thing that struck me was the wonderful pauses between songs, when everyone stops dancing and stands about awkwardly for a few seconds until they can dance again, especially as they strain with a confused face trying to work out what song is starting. But also, no-one pays attention to you in a nightclub. When you're drunk, you're trying to be cool and desirable. You hope all the right people see when you look fit or what-have-you and are turned away when you do something stupid. And as you walk to the toilet you feel every eye on the dancefloor watching you. But last night, sober, I realised that no-one pays attention to you. I was dancing like an idiot, standing still, lunging, walking in-between people in circles and no-one blinked. You can get away with anything, sober in a nightclub. Everyone else is too drunk and too consumed with the music and looking cool, that everyone else becomes irrelevant. But it wasn't just that, it was how disconnected I felt. Everyone else was pulsating and moving as one, and I was darting about watching people, controlling my actions. It really was fantastic.

1 comment:

Badger said...

Thats sounds excellent! I have not been to a club in a good few years, not since i was probably 21. I had to be very drunk in order to step inside. Most odd places.
I tend to prefer leaning on the bar in the local with a nice pint of Guinness these days.
Dancing is a strange thing - I think of it like the human mating call, rather like when the boy Robins parade his red breast to the lady robins. Or those birds that do some fabulous dances to attract a mate.
It all feels rather wrong... unless of course... someone, somewhere can 'actually' dance. And not just stumble around sweating.

Badger x